On 18 December 2012, Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee announced increases in petrol excise duty of 3 cents per litre on 1 July 2013, 1 July 2014, and 1 July 2015. Road user charges will increase by an equivalent amount.
The increases allow the Roads of National Significance (RoNS) programme and other roading projects to be delivered in the timeline set out in the Government Policy Statement on Land Transport Funding 2012.
- Read about the new RUC rates from 1 July 2015.
- View the questions and answers on the changes to RUC and fuel excise duty on petrol.
- Read Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee’s media statement announcing the annual increases(external link)
- Read the August 2012 Cabinet paper on the increases (PDF, 506kb)
- Read the November 2012 Cabinet paper on the increases* (PDF, 428kb) *The recommendations agreed to by Cabinet were different to the ones in this paper, as outlined in the media statement.