The Ministry of Transport is conducting an ongoing survey of people throughout New Zealand to improve our understanding of how and where people travel.
The survey is continuous, to give us up-to-date travel data and travel trends over time. The information will help transport planners to understand how transport systems are working and to prepare for the future. It will also help us to improve road safety.
- Latest results (latest survey results in downloadable fact sheet format)
- More survey data is at Statistics New Zealand's website NZ.Stat
- Information for people in the survey (text of a pamphlet given to each household in the survey)
- How is the survey carried out? (Choosing households, travel diaries, privacy considerations)
- Information for researchers (sampling method, sample size, survey materials and questionnaires)
- Detailed survey information (data gathered, piloting and testing, detailed sample design, estimation of distance, estimation methods)
- 1997/98 Household Travel Survey Results (highlights of the previous Household Travel Survey including text, graphs and downloadable tables)