Understanding the effects of transport costs and charges is important for the assessment and selection of effective transport policy.
The Ministry of Transport conducted the Understanding Transport Costs and Charge (UTCC) project in order to collect information in this area.
Phase 1 of the UTCC (completed in 2008) was a stock take of domestic transport funding, charging and pricing arrangements across road, rail and maritime transport.
Phase 2 collated and estimated costs of road safety and freight transport and the costs and benefits of selected road vehicle technologies. Related work took place between September 2009 and 2011, and various reports are listed below.
Social and environmental costs
- A literarture review on valuation methodologies [PDF, 825 KB]
- Externalities: methods for attributingcosts between internal and external components [PDF, 161 KB]
Costs of road safety
- The social cost of road crashes and injuries
- Value of statisitical life: a meta analysis [PDF, 119 KB]
Costs and benefits of road vehicle technology
Costs of freight transport
- Transport costs in freight logisitics [PDF, 254 KB]
- Legislation and freight transport [PDF, 180 KB]
- 2011 Freight Change Comparison Report [PDF, 180 KB]
As part of the implementation programme for the Transport Domain Plan, further work expanding or refreshing the UTCC is being considered. To find out more, please visit the Transport Domain Plan page.
For further information on the UTCC project, please contact email@example.com