Motor Vehicle Crashes in New Zealand is an annual statistical statement on road crashes in New Zealand. This page reports on the 2010 calendar year.
About this publication
Crash data are derived from Traffic Crash Reports completed by police officers who attend fatal and injury crashes. The detailed information about crash circumstances and causes is extracted from these reports by NZ Transport Agency staff and stored in the Ministry’s Crash Analysis System (CAS). The New Zealand crash data presented in this annual publication is extracted from the information stored in CAS.
Motor Vehicle Crashes in New Zealand 2010
During the 2010 calendar year there were:
- 337 fatal road crashes
- 10,549 injury crashes
- 375 casualty deaths
- 14,031 casualty injuries
Casualty rates for 2010 were:
- 1.2 deaths per 10,000 vehicles
- 43 injuries per 10,000 vehicles
- 8.6 deaths per 100,000 population
- 321 injuries per 100,000 population
As well as the road crash statistics from CAS, Motor Vehicle Crashes in New Zealand includes national hospital, breath and blood alcohol, road user behaviour and comparative international statistics which relate to road crashes.
Download the full Motor Vehicle Crashes in New Zealand 2010 document (PDF, 3.2mb, 181 pages)
Reported injury crashes 2010
Crash data from police-reported crashes:
- Introduction (PDF, 170kb, pages 10–12)
- Section 1 Historical (PDF, 431kb, pages 13–22)
- Section 2 Casualties and crashes (PDF, 813kb, pages 23–62)
- Section 3 Truck casualties and crashes (PDF, 291kb, pages 63–66)
- Section 4 Motorcycle casualties and crashes (PDF, 366kb, pages 67–72)
- Section 5 Pedal cyclist casualties and crashes (PDF, 3495kb, pages 73–78)
- Section 6 Pedestrian casualties and crashes (PDF, 343kb, pages 79–84)
- Section 7 Local body casualties and crashes (PDF, 564kb, pages 85–94)
- Section 8 Drivers involved in reported injury crashes (PDF, 379kb, pages 95–102)
- Section 9 Ethnicity (PDF, 207kb, pages 103–104)
National health statistics for road users
Road users hospitalised as a result of motor vehicle crashes.
National health statistics for road users (PDF, 391kb, pages 105–114)
Breath and blood alcohol statistics
Breath and blood alcohol offence data.
Breath and blood alcohol statistics (PDF, 349kb, pages 115–126)
Blood alcohol levels for fatally injured drivers
Postmortem blood alcohol test results for drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes.
Blood alcohol levels for fatally injured drivers (PDF, 432kb, pages 127–138)
International comparisons for road deaths
International comparisons of road deaths for countries that contribute to the OECD’s International Road Traffic and Accident Database.
International comparisons for road deaths (PDF, 406kb, pages 139–152)
Road user behaviour surveys
Results of surveys of seat belt use, cycle helmet use and driver’s choice of travel speeds.
Road user behaviour surveys (PDF, 275kb, pages 153–160)
Driver licence and vehicle fleet statistics
Driver licence holders by age and sex and vehicle fleet size.
Driver licence and vehicle fleet statistics (PDF, 222kb, pages 161–164)
New Zealand Injury Prevention Strategy serious injury outcome indicators
The New Zealand Injury Prevention Strategy (NZIPS) aims to improve the country's injury prevention performance.
NZIPS serious injury outcome indicators (PDF, 388kb, pages 165-170)
Legislation affecting road safety.
Legislation (PDF, 236kb, pages 171–176)