← Back to key statistic                                                                                                             

 

We spend the largest proportion of our time travelling coming home (39%).

Excluding travel home, nearly a quarter of our travel time is spent going shopping, or personal business. Travel to work (16%) and education (6%) together make up 22 percent of the time spent travelling.

 

Please note the following section of content is possibly being delivered from an external source (IFRAME in HTML terms), and may present unusual experiences for screen readers.

Core dashboard information

Definition

Time spent travelling by trip purpose (by percentage)

Nature of data

Quantitative, survey-based
Primary source

New Zealand Household Travel Survey (Ministry of Transport)

Custodian of data Ministry of Transport
URL https://www.transport.govt.nz/research/travelsurvey
Frequency Periods run from July to June so 2010-2014 means July 2010 - June 2014.
Disaggregation National
Quality of the data Survey based. The survey is designed to capture household travel only and excludes most commercial and freight travel, so will underestimate total personal vehicle travel. Response rate (households with full responses from all members): 2003-2014: 65%-70%.
Next Update To be determined