A report by independent consultants Sapere on the options for relocating the Port of Auckland’s freight operations has been released by the Government, along with associated working papers.
In December 2019, Cabinet considered the Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Independent Working Group’s final report. At that time Cabinet noted that the Ports of Auckland was not viable as the Upper North Island’s key import port over the long term and tasked officials with undertaking further work on the issue.
As a result officials from the Ministry of Transport, the Treasury and the Provincial Development Unit within MBIE have been looking at five options for relocating the Port of Auckland:
- Northport (as recommended by the Working Group)
- Port of Tauranga
- a shared increase in capacity at both Northport and Port of Tauranga
- a new port in the Firth of Thames
- a new port in the Manukau Harbour.
Sapere’s report was commissioned to inform this work.
Because the three Agencies have been focused on COVID-19 response and recovery work they have not yet been able to provide policy advice on Sapere’s assessment of the benefits, costs, risks and uncertainties associated with the options. As a result further policy analysis will be needed in 2021.
- Sapere UNISCS Report [PDF, 2.7 MB] Reissued 24 August 2020 to include additional sensitivity results in appendix B.
- Cabinet Paper: Sapere's Report on the UNISCS Independent Working Group Findings and Officials' Work Programme to 2021 [PDF, 326 KB]
- UNISCS Report on Treaty Partners Perspectives [PDF, 753 KB]
- UNISCS Report on Stakeholder Perspectives [PDF, 967 KB]
- Briefing: Sapere's report on the UNISCS Independent Working Group Findings [PDF, 390 KB]
- Briefing: UNISCS Options on the next steps and Sapere report [PDF, 706 KB]
- Briefing: May update UNISCS Timeline adjustment in response to Covid-19 [PDF, 392 KB]
- Briefing: UNISCS Timeline adjustment in response to Covid-19 [PDF, 545 KB]
- Briefing: UNISCS Minister meeting [PDF, 718 KB]
- Briefing: Briefing to support UNISCS Ministers' meeting on 28 January 2020 [PDF, 578 KB]
- Technical reports Part 1 [ZIP, 22 MB]
- Technical reports Part 2 [ZIP, 19 MB]
Working Group Final Report (November 2019)
- UNISCS Final Report [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- UNISCS Final Report Presentation [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Cabinet Paper Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Final Report [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Cabinet Paper Minute [PDF, 817 KB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy - Meeting on second interim report [PDF, 263 KB]
- Follow-up advice on the second interim report of the Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy - Briefing Paper [PDF, 349 KB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Advice on final report [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Q&As
Working Group Second Interim Report (October 2019)
- UNISCS Working Group Second Interim Report [PDF, 709 KB]
- Attachment 1 - Economic Analysis of Upper North Island Supply Chain Scenarios [PDF, 5.2 MB]
- Attachment 2 - Aucklanders' sentiment to moving the Auckland Port [PDF, 2.5 MB]
Wokring Group Interim Report (April 2019)
- Cabinet Paper Release Coversheet [PDF, 99 KB]
- Cabinet Paper [PDF, 608 KB]
- Cabinet Minutes [PDF, 648 KB]
- UNISCS Working Group Interim Progress Report [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Summary of Submissions [PDF, 508 KB]
Working Group Terms of Reference (February 2018)
- Cabinet Paper Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy [PDF, 136 KB]
- Press Release - Future focus on Upper North Island logistics(external link)
- Read Questions and Answers
For general enquiries please email email@example.com