This page contains information on rates of petrol excise duty and road user charges.
The rates of petrol excise duty and road user charges are specified in legislation. The rate of petrol excise duty is around 66 cents per litre.
Road user charges rates vary. To find out current road user charges rates, please use our online road user charges calculator.
On 28 June 2018, the Government announced increases in petrol excise duty and road user charges on 30 September 2018, 1 July 2019 and 1 July 2020.
On 1 July 2020, petrol excise duty will increase 3.5 cents to around 70 cents per litre and road user charges will increase by an equivalent amount (around 5 percent). The cost of a road user charges distance licence for a light vehicle (eg a car, van, ute) will be $76 (up from $72) per 1000 km, including GST.
For additional information see questions and answers.
Documents on rate changes
- Road User Charges (Rates) Amendment Regulations 2020(external link)
- Road User Charges Amendment Regulations 2020(external link)
- Road User Charges (Rates) Amendment Regulations 2019(external link)
- Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Budget Measures—Motor Spirits) Amendment Act 2019(external link)
- Cabinet papers and minutes
- Regulatory Impact Assessments