Road users help pay for New Zealand’s land transport system.
The rate of petrol excise duty and rates of road user charges (RUC) are specified in legislation.
The rate of petrol excise duty is around 70 cents per litre.
The rates of road user charges rates vary. The cost of a road user charges distance licence for a light vehicle (eg a car, van, ute) will is $76 (up from $72) per 1000 km, including GST. To find road user charges rates, use the RUC calculator(external link).
Previous rate changes
On 28 June 2018, the Government announced increases in petrol excise duty and road user charges on 30 September 2018, 1 July 2019 and 1 July 2020.
On 1 July 2020, petrol excise duty increased 3.5 cents and road user charges increased by an equivalent amount (around 5 percent).
For additional information see questions and answers.
Documents on rate changes
- Road User Charges (Rates) Amendment Regulations 2020(external link)
- Road User Charges Amendment Regulations 2020(external link)
- Road User Charges (Rates) Amendment Regulations 2019(external link)
- Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Budget Measures—Motor Spirits) Amendment Act 2019(external link)
- Cabinet papers and minutes
- Regulatory Impact Assessments