There have been rapid advances in vehicle technology, with an increased use of sensors and faster computer processing in vehicles. These developments have enabled ever-increasing levels of functions to be controlled by the vehicle, rather than the driver. This webpage sets out Ministry’s roles around autonomous vehicles, gives information on what autonomous vehicles are, and outlines their operation conditions and regulatory settings in New Zealand.
You can see our work below:
- What are autonomous vehicles?
- Autonomous vehicles in New Zealand
- Ministry of Transport and AVs
- Current regulatory settings for autonomous vehicles
- Ministry of Transport AV Work Programme
- Recent release with an overview of our AV Work Programme [PDF, 6.6 MB]
While we carry out our work on AVs, we also closely monitor the developments of other jurisdictions when considering policy issues. Some of the thinking we follow can be found at the following web addresses
- National Transport Commission (Australia)(external link)
- Office of Future Transport Technology (Australia)(external link)
- Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (UK)(external link)
- The U.S. Department of Transportation (USA)(external link)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (USA)(external link)
For any enquiries on the Ministry’s Autonomous Vehicles work programme, please email us at email@example.com.